We have taken huge conceptual leaps with BackTrack 4, and have some new and exciting features.
The most significant of these changes is our expansion from the realm of a Pentesting LiveCD to a full blown "Distribution".
Now based on Debian core packages and utilizing the Ubuntu software repositories, BackTrack 4 can be used both as a Live CD, or installed on hard disk as a full distribution. By syncing with our BackTrack repositories, you will regularly get security tool updates soon after they are released.
The BackTrack kernel is now in sync with upstream kernels - so you always get the latest hardware support.Kernel upgrades including the latest hardware support will be periodically available.
Working out of the box:
- Native support for Pico e12 and e16 cards is now fully functional, making BackTrack the first pentesting distro to fully utilize these awesome tiny machines.
- Support for PXE Boot - Boot BackTrack over the network with PXE supported cards!
- SAINT EXPLOIT - kindly provided by SAINT corporation for our users with a limited number of free IPs.
- MALTEGO - The guys over at Paterva did outstanding work with Maltego 2.0.2 - which is featured in BackTrack as a community edition.
- The latest mac80211 wireless injection pacthes are applied, with several custom patches for rtl8187 injection speed enhancements. Wireless injection support has never been so broad and functional.
- Unicornscan - Fully functional with postgress logging support and a web front end.
- RFID support (thanks to Adam Laurie)
- Possibly CUDA support...
- New and updated tools - the list is endless!
With all these changes, PLUS the usual goodies and surprises we have in BackTrack, we are truly excited about this new release.
check out these screenshots for some teasers: